07 September 2011

ahlan wa sahlan

While I only created this blog in Egypt, out of a desire to share my thoughts and experiences here, I don't want this to be just a travel blog / being somewhere else blog (though, perhaps I will end up using it like that in my life), and given the ambiguity of my speech, generally including the use of "things" and "ones" to mean anything I need them to mean, I thought this would be an appropriate title for a blog that I hope will contain some of my thoughts going forward. To give it somewhat of a travelish flavor, I customized its title to be in Arabic, the language I'm currently surrounded by, and in doing so, I encountered a truly jarring problem: how the heck do I translate the word 'ones'? How do I communicate this linguistic idiosyncrasy? Perplexed and delighted, I decided this was an excellent starting point for me to be navigating new ways of communicating and expressing myself in a (somewhat) new language and culture.

ahlan wa sahlan ila Misr, "welcome to Egypt" has been a standard greeting we've received here upon meeting someone new.

And, while I am not meeting most of you for the first time at all, ahlan wa sahlan ila Misr min tajribati -- welcome to Egypt from my experience! I hope you enjoy every bit(e). I promise I won't try to sell you perfume, papyrus, or other pharaonic goods.

No comments:

Post a Comment